Fort Pierce Drug Trafficking Lawyer
Criminal defense law firm representing the Treasure Coast
If you or someone you love has been charged with drug trafficking in the Treasure Coast area, it’s critical to obtain the services of a dedicated criminal defense lawyer. A skilled criminal defense attorney has a deep knowledge of the complexities of drug trafficking cases, and can significantly alter the prospects of those accused of trafficking narcotics or other controlled substances.
Florida’s enormous stretches of beaches and proximity to international ports make it an ideal place for drug trafficking into the country. The Treasure Coast, including Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Stuart, Vero Beach and surrounding areas, is not immune. Florida is one of the most active areas on the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) list of incident rates of drug-related crimes.
How drugs are trafficked into Florida
According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), drug trafficking into Florida is accomplished via one of two main conveyances:
- Watercraft: from small personal watercraft to larger ships and containers aboard cargo freighters
- Aircraft: personal aircraft, including prop planes, helicopters and small jets as well as commercial aircraft with the contraband disguised as luggage or hidden on a person
After arrival into Florida, some of the drugs are sold locally, but the majority is distributed via ground transportation to other areas within the United States.
What are the penalties upon conviction?
The penalties of drug trafficking depend on a number of variables. Individuals convicted of drug trafficking face significant penalties from the State of Florida
- Prison terms from 3 years to 25 years in a state correctional facility
- Fines from $25,000 to half a million dollars
Federal charges – in addition to those levied by the State – might be likely, depending on circumstances and can add to an already hefty sentence. But an arrest on drug trafficking charges in the Treasure Coast does not necessarily have to end in a conviction; experienced representation by skilled criminal defense attorneys can make a difference in the right circumstances.
How a criminal lawyer can help
In Florida, including the Treasure Coast, drug trafficking attorneys can help by providing expert advice and aggressive legal protection of your rights. Anyone arrested on drug trafficking charges should immediately seek legal representation to ensure that he or she receives the best possible outcome. In the Treasure Coast, drug trafficking lawyers are available to help the accused in many ways:
- provide knowledgeable advice to assist in testimony
- Investigate all possible sources of evidence and witness accounts
- Properly interview witnesses, including arresting officers, to ensure that information is accurate and rights are protected
- Negotiate a reasonable bail on behalf of the accused and his or her family
Ohle & Ohle are criminal defense attorneys and represent Treasure Coast drug trafficking arrest clients in Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Stuart, Vero Beach and surrounding areas.